Media Release by:
The ANC has secured approval of its budget for Johannesburg, based on its majority in the City Council. Yet this budget does not favour the city’s residents.
The MMC for Finance, Cllr Geoffrey Makhubo, was proud to say Johannesburg is better under their administration, saying “tomorrow is better than today.” The DA wonders which City the ANC is living in and referring to, because the only better City we all know of is the one governed by the DA in Cape Town.
In the budget the DA did not oppose the Capital Expenditure proposed by the ANC. However, it did oppose the Operational Budget, for the following reasons:
- The consumer cannot be punished for the harm done to Eskom infrastructure over the past decade.The upgrade of power stations and general maintenance are the responsibility of the government, which the ANC is now throwing onto residents.
- Why should ordinary citizens be cornered into paying more as a result of the ANC’s incompetence? Regular street, lighting and infrastructure maintenance should be done.
- Basic service delivery throughout the City is dismally lacking. Now residents are going to have to pay more, regardless of the lack of basics.
- Appointments of incompetent board members and managers in the different entities within the City have killed the smooth running of the City.
- The tariff increases do not make sense as they are above the inflation rate.
- Residents are already feeling the pinch on different increases including petrol, electricity, water and sanitation.